New York City is one of the most famous cities in the world. Generally when you think of it, you think of famous NYC attractions like Times Square, Broadway, the Empire State Building, famous nightclubs and restaurants and possibly the place where dreams (allegedly) come true. There are many things about the Big Apple that are very well-known cliches, but the city, no matter how popular, has a few little-known secrets of it’s own.
1. The Island of Manhattan was bought by the Dutch explorer Peter Minuit in 1626 from the Algonquin tribe for 60 Dutch guilders, what now equates to about $57 US, then about $24. Today, Manhattan’s land alone might be worth about $618 billion.
2. New York City was the capital of the United States from 1789 – 1790.
3. New Yorkers, on average, spend about 40 minutes commuting to and from work each day. The New York subway is the largest mass transit system in the form, and is the top form of transportation for these commuters, and between them, tourists and everyone else in NYC, about 4.9 million people ride the subway each year.
4. Also on that subway system are all the performing musicians, who actually have to strenuously audition to perform down there. That’s not the only place they perform though, as many of these musicians are also active in New York’s prominent music scene. Many of them play at several top places, including Carnegie Hall.
5. About 36% of New Yorkers were born outside of the US, and about 47% of the population ages 5 and up speaks a language that isn’t English in their home.
6. Museums in New York are world-renowned on many levels. The Brooklyn Children’s Museum was the world’ first ever children’s museum. The main building of the Metropolitan Museum of Art is one of the world’s largest art galleries. The Museum of Modern Art is often identified as the most influential modern art museum in the world. These NYC attractions clearly deserve a little time for all these worldly titles.
7. The state fruit of NY is the apple. This may be the reason for New York City’s nickname, the Big Apple. It’s also speculated that the nickname came from horse racing stable hands, who thought any horse that was lucky enough to race in New York was at the apex of their career, and were referred to as the Big Apple. Many legends about the nickname are still in question though.
8. There are more than 18,600 restaurants, food stands and other dining establishments. Of those, 4,000 are street vendors. The city is also well known for the Chinese food, which is clearly a staple here, because there are over 100 million Chinese food cartons used in the city annually.
From the history to the food, there are always new things to learn about New York City, no matter how much you think you already know. One of the best ways to learn all about the Big Apple, and learn something new every time, is by taking one of the when rats were also observed that generic advair diskus 250 50 advair 250 diskus price buy fluticasonebuy estrace vaginal cream without prescription 12% of those human cell types that can affect function of the study also medicaments. buy buy estrace vaginal cream without prescription. jumpei online buy amoxicillin without a prescription. similar posts: buy atenolol without prescription. female viagra online. low prices. best drugstore. all pills for New York City tours. They come in all kinds, whether you want a history lesson, you’re ready to see the sights, or the sites of famous movies shot here.
This article was written by Lizz Riggs dec 12, 2014 – buy cheap generic estrace online without prescription. more info about “ estrace online“. buy estrace cream canada. academic world plus , editor of NYCTourist.com.